Friday, November 16, 2012

Ode to the Muffin Club


This post is from a couple of weeks back. Apologizes for the wait!

This morning’s blanketed skies and blustery wind served as a stark contrast to last night’s shoulder-to-shoulder warmth. Last night promptly at 7pm a new coffee shop named “Headquarters” opened it’s doors and welcomed the scarf wearing crew of Sylvan Park. I had just been introduced to the wonders of this neighborhood, and was curious to check out its character and charm. Earlier that same day, I came to my friend’s house for her weekly neighborhood tradition, Muffin Fridays, where I first heard about the new coffee house opening. As a lover of tradition and all things sweet, of course I was 100% in for this venture.

That morning, I woke up before the sun and made my way to my friend’s home across town. After hours of baking, glazing, and tasting, our butterscotch rolls were ready for the gaggle of neighborhood women. Steamy cups of coffee and tired smiles met each person as I sat around the table of new friends.

The morning hours lazily droned on as one by one each young woman was sucked into the foreboding chasm called work. A small handful went cheerfully, while most seemed to back out slowly with a cold coffee mug still in hand. Still on the job-hunt myself, I lingered a bit, helped clean up the extra stickiness and helped with a small corner of my friend’s giant puzzle.

The day seemed to float on and night suddenly came like a surprise evening guest. That same gaggle of women from before re-gathered one by one at the opening of the vertically shaped coffee house. Once again, we huddled around warm cups of coffee and discussed the day’s affairs as if eons had gone by since our muffin meeting.

The day was ending just as it began: chatting with new friends while eating sweets and warming our hands with hot mugs. Great way to start a weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment