Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Tips for a Great Interview


Well, I’ve been in Nashville for a solid week and I still don’t have a job. My savings are quickly depleting, but oddly enough my faith is growing stronger. Every morning I wake up and tote my trusty laptop to the local coffee shop to peruse the job market. Throughout this job search, I have picked up a few tips on how to interview and present yourself in a professional, yet engaging manner. Some of this knowledge was gained from interviewing my replacement at my previous job. Here are a few tid bits I’ve learned along this journey:

1.     Dress to Impress: As cheesy as that sounds, it is always a good principle to adhere to when applying for jobs. I once had an interviewer tell me that I could wear jeans to the interview because they worked in a casual environment. Noting her suggestion, I still decided to go with a professional dress and heels, and here’s why: I wanted them to see how serious I was about the interview. No matter what, jeans and casual blouses do not communicate professionalism like a smart pair of slacks or a tailored dress. (Ladies, also, do not wear open-toed shoes. It’s just business etiquette)
2.     Answer the Question Clearly: This seems like a silly one, but it’s important. While I was conducting interviews for my replacement at my previous job, it was quite surprising how many people didn’t answer questions directly. Most of the time they had the right experience or expertise to answer it well, but they got nervous and trailed off talking about something off topic. Listen to the question, focus, and answer clearly and consciously.
3.     Prepare Thoroughly Before the Interview: Study the company, send your resume, memorize the job description. We all know that; I’m talking about bringing several writing samples, having one of your references write a reference letter for that job specifically, researching the interviewer’s professional profile, and having suggestions prepared of strategies you would implement. Be thoroughly prepared.
4.     Be Professional, But Don’t Forget Your Personality: Of course, you always want to exude professionalism in your interviews, but remember you are dealing with an actual person. They have pets, trigger points, favorite musicians and a humorous side. At some point, don’t forget to take the ‘job’ out of the interview and show your personality. For one interview in particular, I believe it was my personality that sealed the deal. Throughout the first part of the interview, everything was going smoothly. My qualifications matched the job description and it seemed like a good fit. After a series of professional questions, the director paused and asked, “OK. This is a deal breaker. Do you like the show The Office?" I smiled and proceeded to quote some of Michael’s one-liners and discuss Dwight’s antics. He slapped my resume on his desk and yelled to the receptionist, “Jenica, we have a winner!” Needless to say I got the job.

Here are a few suggestions that have helped in along in the job search process. I recognize that I am still searching, but I am learning and growing along the way. 

1 comment:

  1. girl, get it. These are so good! ...I once went to a coffee shop to have jesus time before going out and looking for jobs. As I was about to leave, the lady behind the counter offered me a job on the spot as they were severely understaffed and had a HUGE catering order that day.

    Its going to be sooo good!!

    ReplyDelete