Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Dusty Books


Old, dusty books inspire me. I feel like they have a lot of wisdom and secret knowledge hidden between the pages. It seems the secret knowledge can only be uncovered in the quietness of a bookstore or a secluded library. This past Saturday afternoon I found myself tucked away in the corners of a bookstore, surrounded by books bursting to share their stories. I turned down the alluring offer of a chili cook off to pursue a day in solitude, thinking it would help calm my anxiety. I am still on the job hunt, and each day last week seemed to heap a new load of burdens. The books helped, but they didn’t console the deep need in my heart.

I laid on an old-fashioned ottoman covered in fabric that looked like it belonged in the parlor from the game Clue. I pulled out The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis and began at chapter one. It was pocket-sized and the pages felt like the chapter books I used to read in elementary school (the time when reading a ‘chapter book’ was the right of passage into 3rd grade). The more I tried to get lost in the adventures of Puzzle and Shift, the more distracted I became by the weight of my own anxieties. I couldn’t step into the story and enjoy someone else’s adventure because I wasn’t satisfied with my own. Ouch.

Dissatisfied, I drove grumpily home. I began to let fear dictate my mood, and it seemed that nothing could change it. My roommate’s cheerful attitude couldn’t shake it, and the freshly baked snicker doodles couldn’t suppress the edge in my tone. Even the warm faces of my friends coming over for movie night didn’t ease my stressed out mind. There I was – hospitable, but not warm. I wasn’t myself.

I went to bed, with glass half empty, and a poor outlook on my circumstances. Luckily the Lord has grace in times like this, you know?

The next day, surprisingly, I felt a new sense of hope and joy. Something had changed, and I felt like the Lord was about to move. I went through the motions of the day – church and fellowship with friends – but with a new outlook. It was almost like all of those prayers about increasing my faith were starting to seep into my beliefs. My thoughts were changing, and the verses about faith without seeing began to take a solid foundation in my mind. I was no longer desperately crying out to a faraway God to please, please provide for me; I was standing in belief that he will provide for me.

And my prayers began to change. My conversations began to change. My outlook began to change. It all made sense. All of the weeks I have been pouring over the word of God and praying feverishly for Him to answer my call came to a head, and He moved. He moved in my heart and He moved in my spirit. Suddenly these scriptures settled in my heart:

Doing the will of God will silence the ignorant talk of foolish men. (1 Peter 2:15)

Blessings come to those who trust in the Lord. (Jeremiah 17:7-8)

We do not live by sight! (2 Corinthians 5:7)

God rewards those who earnestly seek Him. (Hebrews 11:6)
It didn’t matter how much wisdom or insight poured out of those dusty books that day, it was another book that changed my heart. Take heart my friends, if you are going through trials or running after a dream. His rewards are coming for those who earnestly seek him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment