Thursday, September 20, 2012

What to Do in Transitions


I’ve been through four major transition seasons in my life: going from high school to college, transferring from college to another college, post college, re-entry into America from The World Race, and currently, moving from Atlanta to Nashville. Each season has been a tiny bit different, with some similar, underlying currents:

1.     When a transition season takes place, you will find yourself in new and uncomfortable positions.
2.     Your faith will be tested. 
3.     Your trust in yourself will decrease, and your faith in God will increase.
4.     You will re-evaluate your past, and re-think your future.

When I graduated high school, I thought about the courses I excelled in and how they might translate into a major. After college, I evaluated the degree I received and prayed about the career I wanted to pursue. That turned into a professional job, which lead to a year of travel, which landed me into a career: public relations and writing. As I worked at an organization for over a year, I began to realize my desire to live in a community-centered town and pursue a career in book publishing and management. Thus, here I stand in yet another transition season reviewing my dreams and visions and trying to make them into actionable goals.

To help me along the process, I picked up a book I’ve been meaning to read and started to dissect the pages. I’m reading EntreLeadership by Dave Ramsey and prayerfully converting my dreams into actionable steps. Through Dave’s recommendation, I’ve set some new goals for the next season in Nashville:

1. Career goal: I would like to pursue a career in book publishing or creative leadership management.
a.     Action: I’m applying to several different book publishing firms and leadership organizations.
2. Financial goal: I want to remain debt free for the rest of my life, besides a mortgage.
a.     As of next week, my car will officially be paid off and I am setting a budget to remain debt free. God is so good!
3. Spiritual goal: Follow the Spirit’s leading always and love my Lord Jesus with all my heart, soul, and mind.
a.     It seems odd to set an ‘actionable’ goal for this, nonetheless I’m trying my best to actively listen to the Spirit daily and trust in him. Start the day in the word – everyday.
4. Physical goal: Make exercise a daily activity and an important part of my lifestyle.
a.     Take a class at the gym 3-5 times a week with cardio being 60% of my exercise and conditioning being 40% of the work out.
5. Intellectual goal: Read two leadership books over the next month.
a.     EntreLeader and Good to Great.
b.     Attend a conference for creative/innovators within the next 6 months.
6. Social goal: Live in COMMUNITY! I want to live in a smaller town with loads of young people, a creative atmosphere, great food, room for professional growth, and a Christ-centered community.
a.     Move to Nashville before October 1.

When God has you in a waiting or transition stage, it’s wise to remember where you’ve been and why He is taking you to the next season. It also helps to write it down.

“Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that the herald may run with it.”

Habakkuk 2:2

No comments:

Post a Comment