Sunday, August 26, 2012

How to 'Show Up' for Your Life


A few weeks back, like any good American, every evening I was home with my eyes glued to the TV. The Olympics were on, and I simply had to see the games. They were thrilling, challenging, and unifying for our country.

One game that didn’t particularly thrill me was swimming, but doing my duty as a true fan, I faithfully watched it. I cheered for the women’s relay team and respectfully nodded as Phelps won his 18th gold metal.

One thing that impressed me about swimming was how the athletes approached the pool. One swimmer leaned far over the edge of the pool and sunk her long, loopy arms in the water, scooping the cold water right in her face. Another jumped straight into the pool, no warning or prep splash. Just straight in.

They continued these preparations, and sooner or later they were all completely submerged in water, ready to swim. They showed up for their race.

It started me thinking about what I do in the day-to-day to ‘show up’ for my life. These swimmers are Olympians. They don’t go to the pool when they feel like it, or eat sugary cereal for breakfast because it’s quicker than making eggs. They prepare, they’re intentional about their days, and they start every day as if each day has a reason. Do I do that?

Over the past few months, I’ve been reading several blogs about time management, learning how to become a morning person, and what it means to take each day seriously. From reading, watching the Olympics, and deciding what’s best for my schedule, I’ve come across a few things that help me ‘show up’ for each day. Here’s what I’ve learned:

1.     Set a morning routine that works for you. Jeff Goins just wrote a great post about this that really helps. Going off of what he suggests, what works for me is to wake up at the same time every day (during the week). I also shoot to actually get up when my alarm goes off, and spend time eating a leisurely and healthy breakfast. I’m a foodie and it helps jump start my day to have a good meal.
2.     Come in to work as if that’s what you meant to do. Don’t treat work like an obligation. Work throughout day diligently and with purpose. It’s a privilege to work every day, especially if it’s something you love.
3.     When go to the gym, work out like you mean it! I love to take aerobics classes. One night after kickboxing during our post workout stretch, the instructor said, “It’s a great day when you’re healthy enough to work out.” I had never thought of it that way. It’s changes the way I look at my workouts.  
4.     Be intentional about setting your weekly schedule, and stick to it. Your schedule is just that, your schedule. It’s not your spouses’, or friends’, or co-workers’, it’s your’s. Don’t purposely schedule things that you dread (if possible), don’t hang out with people who bring you down, and try your best not to veer off course. (Excluding the occasional capers and spontaneous adventures J) You’re not being selfish with your time, you’re being wise and exercising discipline.

This is just a short list, so add to it! What do you do in the day-to-day schedule that helps you ‘show up’ for your life? I’d love to know in the comments section below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment