Sunday, May 20, 2012

Someone is Pursuing Me


Early this morning I watched my mom prance down the stairs dressed and ready for work. I was sitting at the kitchen table, sipping my warm coffee and scooting my eggs around my small plate. As she often does, she put her arms by her side to model her outfit and said in a sweet but straightforward manner, “Does this look dumb?” (She always phrases her questions like that when she wants my approval of her outfit. It’s like she thinks she only knows how to dress like a clown until I set her straight)

“No, it looks cute. Oh, and you’re wearing the pearls I bought you in Thailand. They look really pretty!”

“Oh, well thank you,” she said in a posh more dapper tone. “Did you buy yourself some? Every girl needs a some pearls in her jewelry box.”

“Um, no, no I didn’t. I guess I’ll just have to wait for some man to buy them for me,” I said in a joking, half sarcastic tone.

That’s generally how my day starts. I drink coffee, mom asks me if her outfit is dumb, and I make a snarky comment about men. Ok, I’m being a little extreme but you get the picture.

Nothing out of the ordinary about today.

I went about my normal routine, which included working, working out, and coming home. When I got home there was a small package on the counter with my name scribbled on it. I picked it up, shook it, and began to carefully open it up, in a confused and curious manner.

A beautiful jewel-toned bag slipped out, and a note that was folded three ways glided to the table. I unfolded the note and read over the beautifully scripted writing. It was a love note. Literally. The author wrote about my pure heart, his love for me, and how he longed to meet with me. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I continued to open the small bag and found a tiny, white box. I shook the box, clink, clink, clink, made the noise.

No way. This sounds like earrings. No way has an admirer sent me jewelry.

Sure enough, I opened the box and two soft white pearls rolled out into my cupped hand. I couldn’t believe what I saw, especially considering the conversation I had with my mom that morning.

The giver of this gift had not surprised me like this before. This was a first attempt in the past 2 months he had made at my heart.

The other time came after and warm and bubble filled bath. It was a Sunday evening and I was soaking in the tub while talking to God about what I wanted for my life, well, whom I wanted for my life. I told him that I was OK waiting for this man, but that I needed his to show my some pursuit, because my heart was getting a little lonely.

The next day, I was looking up plane tickets to visit my friend Emily in California. No matter how many times I refreshed or checked a different site, the ticket prices were the same: $450.00.

Aghh. I can’t justify spending that much money right now, but I know this is the only chance I’ll get to see her before she moves to Seattle, which is even further away!

So I decided to give it one more day, and see if the wonderful world of social media could give me a hand. I posted a simple request on Facebook: “Does anyone know of any sites that are offering good deals to California? Preferably under $400.00.”

The next thing I know I’m getting a message and then a phone call from someone I haven’t talked to since 10th grade history class. He said he saw my post and would like to purchase my plane ticket for me. He said he had some extra skymile points, and wondered if I would like a window or aisle seat.

...

I’m sorry, what? Was my prayer of pursuit just answered by someone I haven’t talked to in years and now lives in upstate New York? Yes. At this moment thoughts of doubt started swirling around like a merri-go-round, until a javelin came down and stilled every thought in my mind. I heard a still quite whisper.

Is this not what you asked of me? To pursue you in a tangible and clear way? I am the ultimate pursuer of your heart. I love every piece of you, treasure your whims and ways, and pursue you continually. This time I had to pursue a little clearer for you to get the picture.

The truth is, a mystery man didn’t buy me the earrings or plane ticket. Well, one was from a man and the other was from a friend. However, both parties said they purchased these gifts for me because God pressed it on their heart to do so.

People, do you know what this means? Jesus is pursuing me personally. The creator of the universe is orchestrating my life so that I realize that he loves me deeply and wants me to give my heart fully to him.

His pursuit is working. I’m believing more and more every day that his plan for my life is out of genuine love and care for me. He is sovereign. He is our highest calling and only fulfillment to that deep hole inside of our chest that is crying out to be filled.

He wants to be the lover of our souls. Do you believe that? I dare you to ask him to pursue you. See what he does—I promise it will be more than you have ever dreamed up. 

2 comments:

  1. Truly brought tears to my eyes...You are such an encouragement and what God is doing in your life continuously lifts my own trust in Him. Thank you again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the encouraging words Tina!!

    ReplyDelete