Sunday, February 26, 2012

How to Live a Colorful Life




I don’t live in the ‘real world’ most of the time. I’m always dreaming of new places to travel, different themed parties to throw, or unique adventures to do with my friends. I think this yearn to escape the day-to-day routine comes from my love of movies and the vast imagination that sprung out of my childhood.

Movies just made me think my closet was a snow-covered enchanted land and that I could fight like a Power Ranger.

My childhood imagination left me turning my air-conditioning vents into magic portals transporting my toys to foreign lands and pretending that my parent’s shower was a tall tower where evil witches lived. I’ll never forget getting into trouble for burying one of my birthday presents in our back yard. I calmly explained to my mom that I simply wanted to draw a treasure map leading to my buried gift so I could experience the joy of finding it, all over again.

Well, I’m 25 years old and I still tell people my closet has a Narnian enchantment on it and if danger comes to worry not, I can protect them from the Putties. And I love it! I love taking the normal day-to-day and turning it into something magical, something memorable.

I was sitting in my reading nook tonight and thinking about how I could continue to live a colorful life as an adult. So, here are some of my scribblings of how to live a colorful life. I’m not saying that every day if full of raindrops on roses or perfectly made hot cocoas, but I do have fun. And I think people leave that ingredient out of their lives way too often. Try some and see how much you enjoy it.

1.   Have colorful friends. Having all of your friends be the same race can be boring. Spice it up! Befriend someone who is a different race from you, and learn about their culture. They will probably teach you a new recipe or show you a new dance move.
2.   Travel somewhere new every year. This could be anywhere from Prague to the city next to you. Don’t plan every minute, but go out on a limb see what kind of surprises you run into—you’ll be surprised at how much fun you have!
3.   Host a story telling party. People are full of interesting and weird stories, and creating a unique platform for them to share these stories is almost unheard of nowadays. It’s a fun way to have a party.
4.   Watch a fantasy movie. Let the creators of Narnia, Lord of the Rings, or Avatar take you into another world for the evening. Turn off all the lights, pop popcorn, and make some hot cocoa. Let the experience of the movie be magical.
5.   Experience something new. If it’s fall, go apple picking. If it’s winter, take a sleigh ride. For springtime, tour a vineyard or winery and for summer swim in a watering hole. Don’t let the seasons escape you; they are precious!
6.   Make goals and actually see them happen. Every year I set a goal list, and for the most part, they happen! I know things happen and stuff comes up, but guess what? Stuff will always come up and if you don’t start pursuing your dreams with the same persistence as you pursue your job, you won’t ever see them come to fruition.

This is just my short list. Your list doesn’t have to look like mine, but I highly encourage you to start one. Remember that ‘all worlds come to an end’ and to always power up!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this post and the reminder that just because we are adults doesn't mean we have to be stuck in this daily hum drum routine. I especially liked the statement towards the end that said stuff always comes up and if you pursued the goals as you pursue your job, it would happen just as well. Keep writing, you have a gift!

    ReplyDelete