Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Summertime.





Summer holds something special. There is a nostalgia that hangs in the air on warm summer nights, and beckons you to join its carefree way of life, glass of sweet tea in hand.

At least that’s what its like for me. It reminds me of running barefoot on hot pavement and eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches by the pool. I don’t know what it is, but I feel like summer has a way of making you feel like a kid again, without the remorse and dread of leaving adulthood behind. It frees you; helps you see that sticky marshmallow-covered fingers and lazy Sunday afternoons are an accepted way of life.

A few days ago I was in California visiting a great friend. Unbeknownst to be, San Diego nights are windy and cold; unlike anything I would have imagined. One night we decided to have a bonfire on her back porch. We pulled sweatshirts over our heads and buried ourselves in blankets, only to let out one hand for marshmallow roasting. We listened to the fire crackle, ate sticky marshmallows with gooey chocolate, and told story after story from each friend’s memory bank. It was a perfect night. It brought me back to summers as a child, and I was reminded of the freedom to be childlike, no matter what your age, title, or season of life.

This summer, don’t be surprised if you catch me out on my back porch, barefoot with skewer in hand. We all need a little reminder of childhood sometimes, and summer provides the perfect atmosphere to jog your memory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment