Sunday, February 19, 2012

Why Women Crave Pursuit



Yesterday a friend who I haven’t spoken to in over 7 years bought me a plane ticket to San Diego. I was planning a trip to see my friend, and didn't have the courage to empty my bank account for the ticket. A young man named Leigh followed up on my shameless Facebook plea for help finding a ticket to California for under $400, and offered to buy me the ticket with his frequent flyer points. After that, the conversation went a little like this:

“I'm sorry, what?? Leigh, I haven’t talked to you since tenth grade history class. Don’t you want to use those points for yourself?”

“Nah. I fly for work all the time, and you post nice things on Facebook, and seem to be a nice gal. Thought I’d pay it forward.”

And there I was speechless, on the other end of the line. I literally can’t remember the last time I talked to you, and now you're arranging my flight and making sure I have a window seat? Am I dreaming? When will my alarm go off?

There are so many parallels that go along with that story. First, we have a young man who is standing up, risking looking a little crazy, and taking care of a woman, for no reason at all. He heard the cry for help, an like a modern day social media hero, he typed away at the rescue. After the conversation was all said and done, he wished me a happy weekend and told me not to mention it. And that’s it. No puffing his chest or proclaiming his generosity to the world, just a simple tip of the hat and a farewell.

The second parallel to this story is a prayer I said while lying in the bathtub and watching the candles flicker and the bubbles dissolve.

Jesus, I am sick of this. I am sick of searching for a godly man who has a firm understanding that he, in fact, is called to be a man of pursuit. I’m sick of looking for someone to love me like Christ loved the church, only to come up disappointed. I’m sick of meeting a guy, having a connection, and then the most action I receive is a friend request on Facebook.

So I give up. I ask you to pursue me. The bible says that you are the ultimate pursuer of our hearts, so I am giving my heart to you. I need your pursuit.

And he did. Twelve hours later I had a phone call from a random guy saying he would pay for my flight and arrange everything, and for nothing in return (did I mention he lives in New York? Nowhere near Atlanta). With that simple act, Jesus looked down at me and said, “When I pursue you, it is above every expectation and hope you could ever have. It is bigger than your dream, and higher than your ways, because I love you more.”

There it was. A reminder that God is in control, He is in constant pursuit of our hearts, and He wants to bless us far above what we could imagine.

Gentlemen, that’s why women crave pursuit. That is how we were made. The God of the universe created a hole in our hearts where He can pursue us. Pursue your women like Christ pursued the church, and you will be blessed. Trust me, the ladies won't know what to do with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment