Monday, August 8, 2011

Saints of the Round Table

I know some really cool people. Seriously, some really. Cool. People. I don’t know how it’s possible, but everywhere I turn I feel like I’m looking at a jack in the box. The only thing is that there are 1,000 jacks in one box, all uniquely designed and manufactured, jumping out and surprising me with their tricks. They all have vibrant colored clothes, beautifully carved faces, brilliantly written theme songs and extravagant hats. They are dream chasers standing on mountains built upon faith, playing their own little tune on their handcrafted instruments. But they are truly just normal people, believing in an UN normal God.

I am telling you this because of dinner last night. Sunday night I found myself sitting on my flower-covered ottoman eating my mom’s homemade burgers with some of my favorite people. It was a reunion of sorts, mostly World Racers, some old friends, family members and missionaries from across the globe. Between bites of fudge brownies and sips of peach tea, each person managed to get out where they have been, and where God is currently taking them. I’d like to share a couple of their stories. Just a few stories about a few friends who don’t have a lot of money, or big connections, or tangible means to do what they do, but it just works. And it works because these people have decided to dream. They’ve decided that God-sized dreams still exist, and that they are worth pursuing. Their dreams have turned into actions, which have turned into realities. So here are a few stories. Only a FEW stories, because I know way too many people who have put their hope in the Lord and his promises to list every story. So I’ll showcase some of my favorites.

Debra Black

     If you had aches, pains, or the sniffles, you would go see her. She isn’t the doctor, but she is the one who tells the doctors who is coming, when they have to work, and when their checks will be in. She is an Internal Medicine Office Manager by day, Worship Leader by night. She started her own non-profit by the age of 21, called Worship on the Square, and it exists solely to bring churches together to be The Church and worship together in public squares. She sings, combines independent Christian artists into choirs, proclaims the name of Jesus in public places where His name normally isn’t spoken, and runs it all completely by faith and prayer. She works in an office doing payroll by day, and sings the name of Jesus over Centennial Park by night. She is now recording a CD, of which God has anointed.  


Alisha Fung
My World Race team and I met Alisha in China. She was a full time missionary from Vancouver, working in Hengyang, China, in a room with special needs children, holding and loving them as she watched most of them slowly starve to death. (Read my blog “Where It’s Not Safe” to learn why they are dying) I worked in that room for 3 weeks and it was all I could do to get up everyday and work without sobbing. And she worked there EVERYDAY. For three and a half months; during the coldest time of the year in China. She fell in love with those children, as well as the middle-aged special needs men she worked with. She is now going back to school for four more years to learn occupational therapy to hopefully one day go back. To China. She actually wants to go back to finish what God started when she was  there.


Blake C. Smith
Ok, I know he is my brother, but I am just too proud of him to not include him in this post. Blake is 16, but a mere 5-minute conversation will make you think you are talking to a 25-year-old mature adult. Blake gets it. His life was turned over when he went on a mission trip to Nicaragua, and he saw people truly in need of a Savior and realized how desperate we are for the Lord’s favor. Blake refers to everything he has or receives as a blessing from God, and turns everything right back to Him. What 16-year-old that you know does that? He doesn’t want to go to college right after high school, but wants to serve somewhere in Central America fighting human trafficking. Big Dreams. Big God.
Joshua Maisner

Joshua was my squad leader on the World Race. He loved his position squad leading, but he couldn’t wait to get home and be a ‘normal person’ again, being friends first with his peers instead of their authority. But God had different plans, and called him to lead the September squad, only a few short months after he got home from leading his squad. He will be traveling all over Asia, Africa, Central America and Europe leading a squad of 50 into the nations to be Jesus to the hurting. He will be teaching boys how to be Men of God and girls how to be Jesus’ Beloved. I’ve seen him do it once, and I know he will do it again; living solely off of support and out of a backpack (support him at joshuamaisner.theworldrace.org). He is a man of integrity, honor, and truth.

These are just a very few people who are making a difference in this world. They are everywhere, and they’re normal people like you and me, but they have said yes to God. They are saints, sitting at the Lord’s Table feasting on His goodness and constantly asking for more. What are the dreams in your life that you are afraid to chase? What is holding you back?

No comments:

Post a Comment