Thursday, August 18, 2011

Growing Out of the Pudgy Pudge

                
I used to be pudgy. I mean really pudgy. (I enjoy using the word ‘pudgy’ to describe my former physical state of being, because I feel like it makes people feel uncomfortable. And that makes me laugh.) Pretty much from the time I was nine years old until I was 15, I was just a pudgy, unattractive and awkward girl. I think that is the plight of every preteen, and I thank God everyday that we grow out of it. Not to say that now I am in tip-top shape, of model-esk beauty and brilliantly sociable in any and all situations, but I am not the same pudgy teenager who used to think that cut-off shorts and Scooby-Doo© T-shirts were fashionable.

I used to be an opera fan. Today, I was walking around in the most magical place in the world, Barnes and Noble, when the idea to write this blog came into my head. I was toiling around in the classic movie section, when I heard an old favorite play over the loud speakers. It was Josh Groban, and he was singing an Italian song from his first album. I used to love that album. As a senior in high school, I would listen to it in the car every morning on the way to class. But today, as I walked through Barnes and Noble, I hated it. Well, I didn’t hate it, but I was thinking, “This is so boring. I can’t even really pronounce the words to sing along.” Hmm, interests have changed; this used to be one of my favorites and now I wouldn’t dream of picking it out of my ITunes library.

I used to be competitive. During youth camps in the summer, I would pretend I was all big and tough during sporting events, taking shots every chance I got, and trying to look fierce. I don’t know who I was trying to fool, I was not athletic. I mean, let’s be honest, I’m a performer. I sing and dance and show off; I don’t run around in a giant field chasing a ball. Don’t get me wrong, I hold anyone in high esteem who actually can do that, and do it well for that matter. For me, I’d rather do my workout in the morning, maybe do a little hike in the afternoon, and then sit back and enjoy a Braves game with some popcorn on the side. If either prospective team looses, I might a little bummed, but I'll get over it. It’s just a game.

None of these things that I ‘used to be’ have any sentimental value to me, except that I am telling you, and that I am simply not that way anymore. I’ve grown up. I’ve left the Marietta suburb and journeyed into the real world, where I’ve learned and experienced new things, big and little. I used to hate eggs, now I love them. I used to be a little on the heavy side, now I care about health and physical fitness. I used to like opera, now I like jazz and the Civil Wars. I used to be a people pleaser, now I stand up for what I believe in and welcome confrontation. Some things will never change; for instance, I will always have a special place in my heart for Justin Timberlake and his knack for blending hip-hop and unique harmonies. And I will fight anyone who argues against that statement.
              
I never thought I would say this, but I feel like I am cycling back to the pudgy, preteen years, minus the excess pudge and insecurity. I’m in my mid-twenties, and I am growing and changing; learning what’s important and what I want in life. On the other hand, isn’t that what our entire life is about? A continuous cycle of growth and change while dipping in and out of seasons? But that is the exciting part! You will never be the exact same person tomorrow that you are today. Besides foundational beliefs and values, your opinions and views will be continually changing as your surroundings, friends and occupations do. And that’s fine. Healthy actually. Nothing too deep, just a few thoughts from the day.
           
We all change. Hopefully for the better. Yes, yes, the girl on the bottom IS single. 



 


1 comment:

  1. i can't see the picture but i bet it's awesome. just as awesome as you are, and this blog post! had me laughing : )

    ReplyDelete