Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Story Time

My fingers are still a little tingly from the warm coffee mug I just sipped out of. The sweet melodies of Norah Jones are playing through my computer speakers, and it's thundering softly outside of my house. Perfect night for a story. I've been off of the field for about 3 weeks, and I've gone through a whirlwind of emotions. In one day, I can fall from extreme joy all the way back down to extreme sorrow that I'm back to square one, sitting on the same couch that I left over a year ago, for something different. Costco makes me angry, Barnes and Noble doesn't bring me the same peace that it used to, and the smooth, leather seats of my Maxima, well, they are actually a nice change from a rough, paint-chipped truck bed.

For those of you who don't know, I've spent the past year on the World Race, traveling to 11 countries in 11 months, being the love of Jesus. In one word, the trip was spectacular. In five words, the trip was terrible, hot, amazing, fun, and stretching. I've been keeping a blog of my journeys, (jessicasmith.theworldrace.org) but I am moving my stories to this new location to continue to blog about the journey God has me on now. I will be re-posting some of my favorite stories from the race on this site, but you can find all of them at the site I posted above.

The main purpose of this blog is to showcase that God is still activated in your everyday life. I've traveled to the African bush, experienced communism in cold China, and befriended a Pakistani tea shop owner during my trip, which are all crazy instances, but I am convinced that I can find similar stories right here in my own neighborhood. Here's my challenge: to keep my life interesting. Of course it was fascinating traveling all of the world, but I'm choosing to believe that God has a fascinating life planned for each of us, in every season of our lives, wherever we are. I would like to see that abundance here in America. I want to see God move in crazy, miraculous ways here, just as he did in Malawi, Africa.

So I raise my coffee cup to you, comfy chair to comfy chair, and ask you to participate. Join in for 'story time,' and curl up with a fuzzy blanket and watch God move in your life. I'll be the pen, and He can be the author. 

No comments:

Post a Comment